Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Kerry Gubler                           La Verkin City

 

 

            Others:

Ken Hooten                             La Verkin City Council

Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer                            

Dennis Kay                              VRLPA

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

 

       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order at 4:06pm.

 

  1. Approve Minutes: 

            Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to approve the August 20, 2014 minutes as written, second by Clark Fawcett.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:                      

A.    Access Points Grant update-Kathleen Nielson

Kathleen reported everything has been completed for the Environmental study.  The project cannot start until she gets the approval from them. 

 

Bob explained that during the last meeting it was reported the Environmental was complete but Kathleen received a call saying they needed another letter relative to potential impacts to the wetlands because the Park is by the River. 

Trail has written that letter and it has been submitted waiting approval. 

 

Kathleen and Bob met with Hurricane this past week.  It went very well. 

Material is still needed for the trails. 

 

Bob asked if La Verkin would be able to help with equipment on Center Street and the SR9 trail.  The County may possibly be able to help when they are finished with their projects but material is still needed.  Man power and equipment will help with the match.  Hurricane will be doing a lot of that on their side.

 

Mayor Gubler replied La Verkin is short on equipment right now so he will have to look into that.      

B.     La Verkin Creek Trailhead vandalism-Bob Sandberg

Bob reported someone tore all of the panels off of the kiosk, tore part of the fence down and threw things onto the kiosk.  The panels are not broken and they were left there.

Bob’s department will be taking care of getting everything put back together but he would like everyone to spread the word if there is anything going on in the Park to please call the police. 

 

Mayor Gubler suggested placing a sign with a phone number at the Trailhead asking people to please call the number to report any vandalism. 

 

Ken Hooten said he has talked to his neighbors, he lives along the overlook, but no one saw anything.  He suggested getting a solar light down there so people up above can see if anything is happening or putting up a gate that could be locked in the evening.

 

Bob explained the Park closes at 10pm.  If anyone is camping down there Bob’s office lets the Sheriff’s Department know.  If anyone is there past 10pm that would be cause for the police department to go check.  If word could get out, the more eyes there are the better. 

 

C.    Acquiring irrigation water-Bob Sandberg

Bob would like everyone to continue thinking of ways to purchase water for the Park.

He has been talking with County Commissioner Victor Iverson to try and get some money from the County.

 

Mayor Gubler asked if Bob knew what happened with the water shares that were originally with that property.

 

Bob replied some of Terry West’s shares went into the In Stream Flow Agreement with the La Verkin Creek.

VRLPA does have water shares they would like used in Confluence Park but they need to be compensated for them.  The shares are Gordon Wood’s old water shares. 

 

Mayor Gubler mentioned using the system or putting in a system from Gordon’s property to possibly water the area down from him.

 

Dennis Kay said he was told there were a couple of individuals who use to water with the equipment Gordon had left there but stopped several years ago when the aluminum was stolen.  He was also told when the water was changed to the secondary water system it took all of the pressure from down there. 

  

D.    Fill dirt/trail material

This item was discussed in item A.  There is a lot of erosion on the Center Street trail.  The upcoming project will fix that but we do need material to put down.  If anyone knows of someone who would be willing to trade material for the fill dirt or that would like to purchase the fill dirt then that money could be used to purchase trail material send them to Bob.

 

E.     Puncture Vine-Bob Sandberg

Bob did put some blue dye in the sprayer as he was spraying the puncture vines.  They have sprayed the trail from Center Street back past the Power Station and Grainery and most of the Hurricane trails.

The Hurricane side looked like someone had done some maintenance work and even sprayed along some of the trails. 

    

F.     Russian Olive maintenance-Bob Sandberg

We need to continue maintaining the Russian Olive.  He thinks it would fit a dedicated hunter project better than a Scout project because of the chainsaws and chemicals.  Bob does need to verify that with Trail first.

 

G.    Scout Projects-kiosk, nest boxes, tables, trails, gophers, clean-up-Bob Sandberg

There are plenty of opportunities for Scout projects in Confluence Park. 

The kiosk project reported during the last meeting is still moving forward.

 

Ken Hooten will mention Confluence Park at the scout meetings he attends.  The LDS Stake Advancement Coordinators would be the best people to talk to.

 

Christy reported that Gene Murri is the person who helped the Scout with the picnic tables La Verkin received and he does have a pattern for metal picnic tables.

 

H.    Building stabilization/removal

Bob said the old Dairy Barn and the Power House need to be stabilized.  If anyone knows of any funding to help with that, let Bob know.  Graffiti also needs to be removed from them. 

 

Kathleen will call the State Historical people and see if they are interested in this type of project. 

 

Bob said the old feeder needs to be removed.  It has railroad ties that need to be separated and then the rest can be burned.

Kathleen and Clark reported most of the Historical grants are a 50/50 money match.         

 

 IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

 

    V.            Board members concerns:

Mayor Gubler suggested removing the lumber from the feeder as a scout project and then have someone else remove the railroad ties.

 

Bob’s only concern with that is if someone got hurt.

 

Kathleen suggested putting a sign on the kiosk stating that vandalism is an offence and will be prosecuted to the fullest.

 

Bob said there is a sign on the tortoise enclosure saying smile your on camera and that has helped.

 

Mayor Gubler mentioned people probably won’t look up a phone number to report anything but if it is listed at the trailhead they may be more inclined to call and report something.       

 

 VI.            Adjourn:

 

Motion was made by Clark Fawcett to adjourn, second by Bob Sandberg.  Motion carried at 4:46pm.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...