Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah


Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Kaden DeMille                        Hurricane City

Kerry Gubler                           La Verkin City



Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer

Lucy Ormond                          Hurricane Trails Committee

Ken Hooten                             La Verkin City Council

Dennis Kay                             VRLPA

Lane Blackmore                      Citizen

Christy Ballard                        La Verkin City


       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order at 4:06pm.


  1. Approve Minutes: 

            Motion was made by Ken Hooten to approve the May 22, 2014 minutes as written, second by Bob Sandberg.  Motion carried unanimously.


  1. Business:

D.    Update on land exchange prospects-Bob Sandberg

This item was moved to the top of the agenda since Lane Blackmore was able to attend the meeting.

Bob explained Lane Blackmore is the property owner we would like to make the land exchange with. 

Kathleen had a map and pointed out the parcels involved with the potential trade. 

Bob explained the delay has been trying to get the okay to amend the Conservation Easement so the property can be traded.  There have been several roadblocks but Bob has been trying to work through them.  The latest has been from a person out of the Division of Wildlife Resources in Salt Lake stating it could not be done.  Bob sent Trail a map along with the history and background of this issue so he could get it to his supervisor and on up the line.  Bob has also talked with the head of Fish and Wildlife Service for this area along with Henry Maddux from the Department of Natural Resources.   They were both supportive. 

It feels and sounds like we are getting more support in favor of the exchange.  They are at least considering the idea.

The County Attorney feels like the Conservation Easement can be modified if both parties (the County and the State) agree to it.

Kathleen mentioned that a previous comment about the State just not wanting to deal with it got back to them and that helped with getting them more interested in looking at the project.

She also found out that there had been a similar request in Moab but the people just wanted to increase the size of their grant opportunity.   So without even really looking at our request the attorney’s just didn’t want to get involved in that again.  They have been educated on this specific trade and realize it is a win win situation for everyone involved. 


Dennis Kay wondered if the restrictions from the endangered species monies may become a problem with this deal moving forward.


Bob replied he wondered the same thing and has talked to Larry Crist from the Fish and Wildlife Service and invited him over to look at the area but Larry said he didn’t need to visit it.  He has already been there and knows the area and was supportive of it.


Mr. Blackmore said everyone has gone into this with the idea of making it a good conservation value.  There is some development value to him but it has been his intent to have it heavily weighted in favor of the Park.  That has been addressed through appraisals and quantity of land.  That is what is important to get the trails developed throughout the entire Park. 

Hurricane would also like to link Main Street at that property so it would be a great deal for them.  He is trying to look at it beyond his own personal interest. 


Kathleen said she feels the main point is the Hurricane issue.  It is a dangerous situation for them.  The people won’t have a way to get out if anything were to happen further up the road. 


Lane pointed out it would give an official entrance off of 200 West. 

This would really solidify the accesses for the Park.


Dennis pointed out that no one opposes it once they realize what it would be accomplishing. 


            C.  Fill Dirt Disposition-Bob Sandberg

Mayor Gubler wondered if Mr. Blackmore would have any need for fill dirt to exchange for gravel, road base, or crusher fines.  Kathleen didn’t have that number with her but she can get it.   


Mr. Blackmore said to let him know the amount needed and he will help in any way he can.


Bob said we have 5,000 yards of fill dirt that came out of the fields when they did the Waterline Protection Project.  It is too sandy for the trails.


Mr. Blackmore replied he is always in need of top soil sources it would just be a matter of setting down and figuring out the numbers. 

Bob has tried to contact Scott Stratton who has a construction company and Mike Madsen from Interstate Rock. 


Mr. Blackmore stated he will help in any way he can.


A.    Access Points Grant update-Kathleen Nielson

Kathleen stated most of the information is about the Hurricane Trail Head.

The space has been designed so if the street does come through it will not affect any structures.  There appears to be enough rock on the property to put along the edge. 

The restroom design has been decided on.  Kathleen passed out a picture of it. 

Arthur had his father, who is a contractor, look at the picture and he says he can build it for the same amount the company can.  But she wasn’t sure if that included the construction or just the material.  The cost is $25,000 to order it from the company which includes everything but the concrete pad and the cost of the construction to put it together.  The salesman said if an outside contractor is hired to build it he has seen the exact building cost $45,000-$60,000. 

So depending on how much of a bathroom Hurricane wants, they may have to do more of the work on it.  It was originally intended for Hurricane staff to put the building together but at their last meeting nothing was said about doing it.  Arthur and Clark were looking very closely at how much it would cost the City to build but at the same time saying they really wanted it and thought they could make it happen.  She just needs to know for sure they are committed.


Bob said we also need a concrete figure on how much the other items in the project are going to cost.  Anything we can do with the trails would go against the match which would leave more money for the restroom and the kiosk. 


Kathleen would like to know by the next meeting exactly what the costs are and exactly what work will have to be done.

The kiosk style that everyone liked would cost $7,800 for the material and $1,100 to ship it. 

The company can make it smaller if needed to which is probably what we will do.  We need the grant people to not think we are putting in a shade structure. 


Kathleen will set a meeting up with Arthur and Clark to discuss all this.


The project needs to be finished by the end of next year.  The Hurricane Trailhead area is where we thought we would start but it does depend on the County road crew’s schedule. The best time for them is the fall.  We need them to take care of Center Street and SR9 in La Verkin.   Hurricane said they could take care of their side. 


Kathleen reported the Environmental Clearance just needs to be submitted. She is planning on doing that within the next couple of days.  Then we just wait for their response but Kathleen doesn’t think there is anything to worry about.  It took so long because they have changed their entire environmental packet.



B.     Follow up discussion on removal of the old shade structure-Bob Sandberg

Bob wondered if anyone had any new information on getting the structure removed.


Kathleen asked if removing the structure would interfere with the Master Plan.  There is a page in the Plan stating they hoped one day it would have a roof on it and be used for education.


Dennis remembers reading that but he is not sure how strong they felt about using it for that purpose.


The structure is almost on the ground, it is in very bad shape.


Mayor Gubler remembers when that building was built and he can’t imagine it being used for educational purposes. 


Bob thought the same thing.  He wondered if the structure was in better shape when the plan was written or if they were actually talking about the feed lot north of the dairy.

The structure on the north side has concrete around it and a roof or partial roof could be put on it and then used as a kiosk.


Kathleen mentioned the structure on the south side is unsafe.  She likes leaving the old stuff so people can learn about it but that building is a danger.


Bob said the building can’t be used as it is.  The only thing we can do is demolish it and rebuild it with new material. 


Mayor Gubler stated the building was built to house and feed calves so he doesn’t think there is any educational value in it.


Bob commented that the Dairy Barn could be restored and used for educational purposes but not this structure.  He will double check on removing the structure and try to get in touch with some of the original people that were involved with the Master Plan and see what their intentions were. 


E.     Update on possible land addition-Bob Sandberg

Bob thought there would be an update on this item but he doesn’t have one.

The intention of this item is in regard to the property that Ken Anderson owned west of the Park.  It comes down into Ash Creek with one piece coming up to the mouth of

La Verkin Creek.  This piece was identified in the plan to be acquired if it were ever possible.  The County has first right of refusal when that property is sold.  Bob found out that the property has been listed with a realtor.  He discussed that with Bill McMurran and Chris Blake of the Virgin River Land Preservation Association because he knew they were trying to work a deal to acquire it.  The deal was they had a group who would purchase it but then we would need to find a way to pay them back for it.

Bill and Chris were going to make some phone calls but that never happened so Bob doesn’t know where it’s at. 

The property is currently owned by Cache Valley Bank.

If anyone has any ideas to come up with the money, that would be helpful. 

The parcel is 166 acres.

Bob showed everyone where the parcel is on the map.


Lucy asked about accessing the property.


Bob replied that there is not anyway to access it but through the Park.  That is why they hoped it could be acquired without a huge cost. 

One of Ken Anderson’s deeds states he was allowed to build a bridge across the Virgin River to access it.  He tried to say he could build a bridge across Ash Creek but that wasn’t right. 


Mayor Gubler mentioned he feels it would be better to try and get water to take care of what we have before acquiring additional property.    


F.     Restroom cleaning schedule-Bob Sandberg

The new cleaning schedule was passed out. 

The first week of June was not assigned to anyone so Bob has updated the calendar from now to the end of the year. 

There was a little bit of vandalism a few weeks ago.  The inside was messed up but there was no physical damage. 

Attendance will probably slow down now that it is so hot.


Mayor Gubler pointed out that the more visibility of people being there the less vandalism occurs.


G.    Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.


H.    Board members concerns:

Ken wondered if a solar powered light on the outside of the restroom would be feasible.  He lives above the Park and there are times when there is activity down there but you can’t really see what is going on.  Usually there are not a lot of people down there after dark but occasionally there is. 

A motion activated light would be a good idea.

Bob said the hours are posted on the rules but he isn’t sure if it is codified anywhere so a citation could be issued. 


Kathleen asked if the police are doing routine checks.


Ken said he sees the County down there quite often.


Bob said the County is on a regular shift.  La Verkin City Police stopped Justin to make sure he was okay to be there.


Darren Cottam sent an email in regard to the deer flies.

Bob doesn’t know of anything that can be done about them other than protecting yourself.


I.       Adjourn:


Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to adjourn, second by Ken Hooten.  Motion carried at 4:56pm.



Minutes taken by Christy Ballard.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes

City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018

Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...