Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah


Board Members:

Karl Wilson                             LaVerkin City

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Annette Kleinman                    Toquerville City

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City



Trail Kreitzer                           UDWR



Dennis Kay                              VRLPA

Lucy Ormond                          Hurricane Trails Committee

Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer

Ray Justice                              La Verkin City Council

Lecia Langston                                    Toquerville

Daren Cottam                          Toquerville City Council

Christy Ballard                         LaVerkin City



       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Karl Wilson called the meeting to order at 4:05pm.


  1. Approve Minutes: 

Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to approve the July 17, 2013 minutes as corrected, second by Karl Wilson.  Motion carried unanimously.


  1. Business:

A.    Tree Watering System & Plans to replace dead trees-Bob Sandberg

The tree water system is in thanks to the La Verkin Stake and Lynn Olds.  It was a great turn out and the drip irrigation system is in.  The only problem they had was the water pressure was too high and several of the lines popped.  A pressure regulator was installed at the end of the meter and it is working fine now.

            The Cottonwood trees, the Mesquite and the Desert Willow trees have done very well. Most of the other willows have struggled.  Gophers are the cause of most of the Cottonwood trees that have died.


Clark Fawcett arrived at 4:10pm.



B.     La Verkin Stake Scout Service Project-Bob Sandberg

There are about 50 trees that need to be planted.  The plan is to have the trees purchased and ready to be planted by the Scouts on October 26th.  They will also clean up some of the areas messed up when the trenches were dug for the watering system.


Kathleen needs the different projects to keep good records of volunteers as well as pictures from each for the grant.


Bob invited anyone interested to come help.  He is not sure how many scouts are expected but there will be cub scouts as well as boy scouts from the entire LDS

La Verkin stake.


Kathleen wondered if there was going to be any training for the leaders on tree planting.


Bob replied he did tell the coordinator that this committee is interested in having them do some training.  We just need to set up a date and time to do that.


Kathleen would like pictures of the training.  She will talk about it in the comments it would help with the grant.


C.    Restoration Grant-Kathleen Nielson

Bob reported on some of the items done under this grant.  Everything needs to be finished by the end of November.  Over the next two months they will doing some more work on the Russian Olive and the Tamarisk on the Hurricane side. 

Hopefully we can get some trees planted with this grant. 

It will have to be bid out since it will be a new project.     


Mayor Wilson asked if we could have someone spray the goat heads along the trails before they seed out.


Bob will try to find someone to do that.


Kathleen mentioned she received a call from Lane Blackmore wondering about the property exchange.


Trail said UDWR will need to meet with Bob about plans for the trail access points that were put into the grant like the property exchange. 

Trail will set that up.


Bob said that the County Attorney is going over the conservation easement.


D.    Recreational Trails Grant Application update-Kathleen Nielson

Kathleen reported that we have been awarded the Trailhead Grant.  It is less money than we asked for.  There were some items the committee didn’t like.  The environmental work is one of those items.  She thinks that will be about $2,000 and has to be contracted out by people that have been pre-approved. 


Trail reported that UDWR has a State archeologist in their Salt Lake office.  He may have some interest in doing it.  Trail will talk to him.

Kathleen said the Committee did not like the impact fees for the restroom on the Hurricane side and took it out of the grant.


Clark said that was all match; no money from the grant was going to pay for any of that.


Annette Kleinman arrived at 4:26pm


Mayor Wilson commented that the Hurricane Trailhead is hard to find and wondered if Hurricane had any signage plans.


Clark reported that they would like to have signs.  There is a need for them.


Kathleen agreed saying it is called the Main Street Trailhead so there definitely needs to be an easy to follow sign on Main Street with supplementary signs closer to the trailhead. 

            There will be a kiosk structure with a roof.  It will look similar to the kiosk at the La Verkin Creek trailhead just a little bigger with the colorful signage if that is what the committee wants.  It will just be the map in the kiosk then the regular signage that goes along with the map like at the La Verkin Creek trailhead.

There will be a restroom.  It will be up to Hurricane how extravagant it is. 

If the property exchange goes through it will expand the trailhead a little and make the parking better.  It would also allow us to include the Pioneer Monument into the trailhead.

The total grant amount given to us was $46,800.  The project can start once the contract has been signed and recorded.  Bob has received the contract and is waiting for the County Commissioners to approve it.  The grant will close December 2015.

Kathleen said she is still looking for a way to get a bridge down there.


E.     Hurricane Waterline-Bob Sandberg

All of the projects along the River were ready to start and the water line was part of it.  There has been an issue come up of where to use the mitigation.  The Fish and Wildlife Services would like to use it all along the River and we would like to use it on site in Confluence Park.  That is being discussed now so we are not sure when the project will start.


F.     Picnic Tables-Bob Sandberg

There is still a need for picnic tables.  The Board would like metal picnic tables so if anyone knows of someone perhaps a scout who would be interested in taking that project please send them to Bob.  There will be some welding required. 


G.    Restroom Cleaning Schedule update- Bob Sandberg

The cleaning schedule for the next few months was handed out. 

Toquerville is not on the schedule.   


State Forestry and Fire were at Confluence today.  They are planning on working with the fire department to burn the piles still there sometime this fall. 


Kathleen would like pictures of that to pass along to the committee in Salt Lake who give us the grant money.


 IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.


  1. Board members concerns:

Lucy reported that the Hurricane Trails Committee has revised their master trail plan for the next 20 years.  There is an area on the Hurricane side that has a 20% grade.  They would like to make the grade a little gentler with switchbacks.  Quinten Morsiette is a trial builder and on the committee, he would be willing to go out there with Trail to discuss possibilities.  Lucy mentioned it is the same area the State Archeologist may want to look at, she has seen shards there.


Mayor Wilson thanked everyone on the Board and Committee especially Annette Kleinman for all the work they have done for Confluence Park. 

This is Annette’s last meeting.


 VI.            Adjourn:


Motion was made by Annette Kleinman to adjourn, second by Clark Fawcett.  Motion carried unanimously at 4:51pm.



Minutes taken by Christy Ballard.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes

City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018

Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...