Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Cameron Rognan                      Washington County-HCP

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Ken Hooten                              La Verkin City

Paul Heideman                         Toquerville City

Others:

Steve Meismer                         Virgin River Program

Steve Leavenworth                   La Verkin City Council

Rhett Boswell                           UDWR

Mike Chandler                         Ash Creek SSD

Dennis Kay                              VRLPA

John Ibach                               VRLPA

Mike Schijt                               Washington County

Lane Blackmore                      

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

 

        I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Ken Hooten called the meeting to order at 4:08pm.

 

  1. Business:                            

A.    Lane Blackmore property exchange update.

Cameron reported he contacted Elaine York with the Nature Conservancy and she was willing to give her recommendation and suggestions.  She wanted their attorneys to review the documents and will let Cameron know their comments.  She asked Cameron to have the County attorneys look closer at it to see if there was anything else the County could do. 

She did say the Nature Conservancy was willing to assist if there were any concrete tasks and they are committed to protecting and preserving the Park any way possible. 

            Cameron does plan to have the County attorneys review the documents when they get a chance, hopefully within the next couple of months. 

 

Mr. Blackmore reported there has been a minor change in the description of one of his parcels, it will increase what he is willing to exchange by 1 to 1 1/2 acres. 

He will send a detailed map with the change included to Cameron once he gets it back from his engineer. 

 

Cameron asked Rhett to discuss the possibility with Rick of conducting a biological assessment and inventory for the parcels that would be added to the Park. 

 

Rhett said if the exchange does happen UDWR would like to pursue the idea of the Nature Conservancy helping UDWR combine all the parcels into one easement if possible.

 

Mayor Hooten asked Mike Chandler to report on what Ash Creek SSD has done in Confluence Park. 

 

Mike said the water lines are in to the degree that was in the feasibility study worked out with Bob Sandberg.  They have been stubbed to each of the major pasture areas but they are not able to flood or sprinkle the areas. 

Ash Creek SSD has water rights that they are working with La Verkin City and the Conservancy District on to use for a period to green up the 40-acres they own at the head of the Park. 

He plans to start the engineering study later in the year. 

 

Clark arrived at 4:17pm

 

There is a large amount of soil they will be terracing on their property and then will begin watering. 

As far as Confluence Park property, Ash Creek SSD does not have any further plans for this year.

Mike would like to get an agreement in place with the Park and the Ash Creek SSD Board for a long-term lease before they start putting money into Park parcels.  

 

B.     Discussion on Park funding project priorities.

 Cameron explained the list are priorities discussed during the meeting in May with Commissioner Iverson.   

1.      Power station and dairy clean up

Vandalism has been an issue, so the Board would like to take some steps to try and control the vandalism and clean it up. 

Bruce Bonebrake suggested removing the fence and increase the education to try and dissuade the vandalism.

 

Steve Meismer said the original intent behind fencing the power station was to prevent injury but people are still getting in. 

 

Mayor Hooten mentioned the location is not feasible for police officers to patrol.  The most reasonable thing would be to install cameras. 

 

Cameron said the fence could be removed once liability was not an issue, he would also like to install interpretive signs and information for people to enjoy. 

 

Paul mentioned volunteers to help secure the power station may be a liability, a grant would be a better option to address the issue. 

 

Rhett suggested filling in the bottom area and just have one room with some educational things. 

He could get dedicated hunters to help reinforce some of the safety concerns.

 

Cameron will check into getting cameras and signage stating the area is under surveillance.      

2.      Development of beach area

Commissioner Iverson wanted this area developed further.  

Nothing can be done with the lower section. 

 

Rhett reminded the Board members the easement requires the Park to remain natural. 

 

Mayor Hooten said there are traps available for horseflies.  Perhaps it could be an Eagle Scout project.

The beach area is where a lot of the large groups go, cleaning the area of debris may be a good idea. 

 

Cameron will check into getting volunteers to clean that area. 

3.      Wood chips on trails

There are several piles of wood chips that need to be used.  Volunteers could spread them out along trails or the parking area. 

 

Mayor Hooten suggested putting some on the Center Street trailhead. 

 

Paul suggested the sandy areas going toward the Hurricane bridge. 

 

Cameron asked if some committee members could volunteer to direct youth groups on where to put the wood chips.

4.      Wooden fence

Would the committee members like to see the wooden fence around the pasture repaired or removed?

 

Rhett thought the committee felt the fence had some historical value to it.  It would be a good dedicated hunter project to repair it but if there are going to be animals in the pasture it will need to be more functional. 

A combination wood/wire fence would be functional and aesthetic.   

Rhett said DWR doesn’t want to send their depredation guys to their own conservation easement.  Also, anyone who wants to graze in the Park will need to know they cannot kill any predators.  If predators do become a problem DWR will deal with it on a case by case basis. 

 

Cameron stated the fence issue will probably be decided once we know who will be grazing there and what their needs would be. 

5.      Other projects

John mentioned the dairy is receiving a lot of vandalism and is becoming a safety hazard. 

 

Mayor Hooten thought the intent of the Park was to preserve the area as much as possible. 

 

Paul suggested using the dairy as a pavilion but keeping the historical look.  The more people in the Park the less vandalism there is. 

 

Steve said the original intent was to adapt the structures into something useful but still have some of the historic information available. 

 

Paul thought the dairy may need to be a higher priority than the power station because the power station is protected a little bit by the fence. 

 

Cameron reported there have been complaints of suspicious activity in the Park after dark.  He wondered how the Board felt about signage stating the Park closes at dark. 

Cameron will get the signs up and if there is still a concern we will draft an ordinance to enforce it. 

He will also get the signage for the cameras. 

 

Mayor Hooten will let Chief Lee know the Park is going to close after dark except for permitted campers.

 

The bridge project is still on hold until funding can be secured. 

 

Mayor Hooten mentioned Ash Creek SSD may be interested in collaborating on that project.  They will need someplace to put the water from the treatment plant.   

The County has done a great job with improving Confluence Park.  He hopes we can continue to make improvements. 

                 

  III.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

 

  IV.            Board Members Concerns:

There will be no meeting in July.

    V.            Adjourn:

Motion was made by Paul Heideman to adjourn, second by Ken Hooten.  Cameron-yes, Clark-yes, Ken-yes, Paul-yes.  Motion carried unanimously at 4:55pm.

 

 

Minutes taken by Christy Ballard.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...