Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Cameron Rognan                      Washington County-HCP

Kerry Gubler                            La Verkin City

Paul Heideman                         Toquerville City

Kaden DeMille                         Hurricane City

Others:

Kathleen Nielson                      Grant Writer

Mike Chandler                         Ash Creek SSD

Steve Meismer                         Virgin River Program

Rhett Boswell                           UDWR

Ken Hooten                              La Verkin City Council Representative

Jake Powell                              American Conservation Experience

Linnea McCarty                       American Conservation Experience

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

 

        I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order at 4:05pm.

Lynn Chamberlain has resigned and Cameron Rognan has taken his place. 

 

Mayor Gubler left at 4:06pm

 

  1. Approve Minutes: 

Motion was made by Paul Heideman to approve the November 16, 2016 minutes, second by Kaden DeMille.  Paul-yes, Cameron-yes, Kaden-yes.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:                            

A.    Update on the installation of the Irrigation System.

Mike Chandler reported work has begun in the Park.  The main line connection was made yesterday.  The City has been inspecting the pipeline and footings.  Ash Creek SSD hopes to have the project done in the next 3-4 weeks. 

Ash Creek SSD has verified two existing casings that run under the stream so they will not be doing any open cutting.  He explained the location of those casings and where the water lines will be located.  

He and Blair are working on getting the location for each of the stub ups.  He has also talked with Derek from La Verkin City on potential irrigation methods.  They have asked the City to grant Ash Creek SSD an exception on the flood irrigation requirement ordinance they have on the secondary water system.  Once the line is installed Ash Creek SSD will laser level the fields in terraced basins.  Mike feels this is the best option and will have essentially no runoff.  He is working with the City right now on this.

            Ash Creek SSD has budgeted to begin the Facility Plan for the treatment plant facility in 2017.  One of the items Ash Creek SSD will need for the Division of Water Quality is a long-term agreement between Ash Creek SSD and whomever the signing authority is stating the Sewer District can land apply.  Ash Creek SSD will need to come up with a winter storage and/or winter discharge plan. 

The basins will be watered this year with secondary water from La Verkin City.

 

Rhett thought the signing authority would be the County with DWR making sure it was within the bounds of the easement agreement. 

 

Mike mentioned having a review period with each of the participant entities to go over the stipulations.  

He does not think the lease agreement will need to include everything that has been discussed because  

DWQ will require all of that in the Facility Plan.

 

Mike reviewed the project on the Confluence Park map for the Board and Committee members.

Cameron asked if the culinary water line would be included in the current project and be completed in the same 3-4-week period.

 

Ash Creek SSD does not have plans to install a culinary water line. 

Mike mentioned when he met with Lynn they discussed whether to bring the line off center street or off 600 North, either of those options would be cheaper than bringing the line from Riverwood.  Line size was discussed as was the funding for that part of the project.  He heard nothing more about it.

Confluence Park will need to have a plan in place so the right size of pipe goes in.  The Master Plan identifies some areas for bathrooms but nothing specific for culinary water.  Funding would also need to be secured.     

 

There was a discussion on locations of culinary lines and taps.

 

Mike mentioned Ash Creek SSD will be putting in a sewer line in through the property again when they begin construction on the treatment plant, the Park would have another opportunity to put not only culinary but utility lines in then.

Ash Creek SSD will be running a parallel line to their site.  The water will be treated to be irrigation effluent quality.  He has offered the excess to La Verkin City but it will be expensive to pay the pumping cost.  If La Verkin City cannot use the excess water that line will be used to get the water back to the Virgin River.

The other item to decide is whether to realign the roads.  There was discussion during the last meeting on moving the road to the foot of the cliff to maximize the nature current landscape.

Mike has met with Questar and RMP, he would like to get everything, utility lines and roads, away from

La Verkin Creek.                  

  The Park needs to have an infrastructure plan. 

 

Mike went over Ash Creek SSD’s tentative plan for pipeline, watering, tree planting, animals and the roadway.   

 

Cameron said Confluence Park will wait on the culinary water line.

He asked Mike about the time line for the lease agreement.

 

Mike replied he would like the agreement to be a 40-50-year perpetual agreement, the longer the better.  That would give Ash Creek SSD assurances for the money being spent. 

 

Rhett mentioned it would be a good opportunity to consolidate the easements.  Right now, there are three separate easements.  It would be a good time to amend them to one easement with the Ash Creek SSD as an encumbrance to it.

 

Cameron felt the County would prefer a long-term agreement as well. 

 

Steve asked Mike for a copy of Ash Creek SSD’s plan for the Committee to look at. 

 

Mike gave an overview of where the lines will be located on the Park’s map. 

 

Cameron asked if Ash Creek SSD needed anything from this Board before February’s meeting.

 

Mike answered the agreement with the County is in place.  The County has agreed to reimburse Ash Creek SSD $150,000 once the work has been completed.  Once that money is in place they will start on extending the lines, putting in the bleed risers and distribute the water.       

 

B.     Discussion on future projects for the Park   

Cameron explained Jake and Linnea are from the group ACE.  He turned the time over to them to introduce themselves and their program. 

 

Jake explained the American Conservation Experience is a nonprofit conservation corps.  They have offices in St. George and Hurricane.  They build trails, invasive removal, ect.  ACE gets youth volunteers, usually people right out of college, interested in gaining job skills to move on to do federal work through BLM, Forest Service or National Park Service.  ACE offers two different types of programs.  First is the fee for hire work, the corps does have expenses that need to be paid and this is one way they do that.  ACE will charge someone a weekly rate and their crews will come and work for them for that week.  Second, the volunteers are required to complete volunteer conservation oriented service projects, usually 1-2 projects per person. This is usually lighter touch work such as a 4-5-hour project. 

An ACE member noticed some potential projects in Confluence Park so Jake wanted to come to this meeting to let the Board know they are a potential resource.

 

Cameron met with Jake just prior to this meeting in the Park to discuss some potential projects.

 

Kathleen said there is a lot of deadfall and junk around the Park, particularly the parts of the Park that don’t have road access to them.  Some of the projects need more expertise than a Boy Scout group has.

ACE can work with different groups such as the Boy Scouts for an Eagle Scout project.   

 

Ken Hooten mentioned there is a trail along the top side of La Verkin, the City would like to eventually connect to the trails in Confluence Park.  There are several sections that need some work. 

 

Jake suggested putting together a priority list of smaller projects.  There are times ACE needs a quick service project, they could call Cameron and get the information a few days in advance. 

 

Rhett suggested having ACE do an active vegetation project, cutting in the fall and replanting in the spring. 

 

Kathleen reported the Arundo has been taken care of by the power station and the Tamarisk just needs some maintenance work done with it.  There is some work across the River that could be done but it would require a grant first.  The project could possibly be ready by late winter/early spring of next year. 

 

Cameron would like to get a priority list created. 

 

  IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

 

    V.            Board Members Concerns:

UDWR is required to do an annual monitoring of Confluence Park.  He would like Cameron and possibly a tour guide to meet with them when that happens. 

That will be worked out.

 

Nothing further has been done in the process of the property exchange with Lane Blackmore.

 

VI.            Adjourn:

Motion was made by Kaden DeMille to adjourn, second by Paul Heideman.  Cameron-yes, Kaden-yes, Paul-yes.  Motion carried unanimously at 5:05pm.

 

 

Minutes taken by Christy Ballard.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...