Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Kerry Gubler                           La Verkin City

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Others:

Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer

Lucy Ormond                          Hurricane City Trails Committee

Ken Hooten                             La Verkin City Council Representative

           

       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order.   

 

  1. Approve Minutes: 

Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to approve the November 18, 2015 minutes as corrected, second by Clark Fawcett.  Bob-yes, Kerry-yes, Clark-yes.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:                            

A.    Access Points Grant- Kathleen Nielson

Kathleen reported the project is in the final stage.  All of the signage has been purchased and will be installed soon.

 

Hurricane has done a great job with getting everything finalized. 

Derek told Bob he thought his crew could get the signs in La Verkin installed after the first of the year.  Everything is ready to go for them, including the register boxes.

   

B.     Discuss plans for the Hurricane Main Street and La Verkin trail heads celebration-Bob Sandberg

Once the project has been completed there will need to be an opening ceremony.

It was decided that the ceremony would be either, Saturday, April 9 or Saturday April 16.    The Board members will check their schedules. 

Clark will look into donations from local businesses for the refreshments.

 

Kathleen suggested inviting the Mayor of Hurricane to speak along with Clark.

The final details can be discussed during the February meeting.

 

C.    Road work on the access road to La Verkin Creek Trailhead-Bob Sandberg

Bob reported the County Road Department would be moving the dirt pile west of the Dairy Barn onto the road to help build it up so there is some drainage.  They will be working on that project in between their own projects and jobs. 

 

D.    Removal of railroad ties and the shed at the Dairy-Bob Sandberg

Bob reported the railroad ties have been removed and Chief Tom Kuhlmann has found someone that may want the lumber.  He will try to burn what is left by February or March. 

               

E.     Power Station fencing-Bob Sandberg

Bob reported they are adding to the fence around the Power Station to reduce the liability.  There will be razor wire around the top so no one can get to it. 

Bob has talked to Russell Bezette about getting his opinion on the stabilization and restoration of the Power Station.  Todd Edwards is the County Engineer and is going to get Bob the contact information of a few structural engineers to get their opinion on the building as well.   

                           

F.     Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

 

G.    Board members concerns:

The opening ceremony for the Hurricane Trailhead will be on the next agenda.

 

Bob met with a representative from NRCS to discuss the irrigation design for the field.  They can’t do anything official but he was willing to give his opinion.  He took an aerial photograph and drew some lines from the standpoint of pressure in the line and coverage.  He looked at a couple different designs as well as a pivot.  The pivot, in his opinion, would be cheaper in the long run but more expensive in the beginning and would help against vandalism.    

Bob doesn’t feel pivots fit with the theme of the Park. 

A wheel line, while cheaper, doesn’t fit with the Park either.  It is too labor intensive.

He is still working on the issue.  All parties involved agree they would like to see the fields green and are willing to work together to find a way to accomplish that.

The Park may not need to purchase irrigation shares, we may be able to rent or lease it.   

Ash Creek anticipates needing to build a treatment facility on their property; it would be beneficial to both parties to have them put the facility water on the fields.

 

The Wood family has indicated a willingness to temporarily allow the entrance sign and the novaloy sign for the SR9 trailhead on their property.  They also said they would like to move the easement so they can market the property if Confluence Park can’t purchase it. 

Bob thought moving the easement may be a good thing for parking and getting equipment to the Park. 

They were aware of the plans with the property to the south of them.  

       

H.    Adjourn:

Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to adjourn, second by Clark Fawcett.  Bob-yes, Kerry-yes, Clark-yes.   Motion carried unanimously.

 

 

Minutes taken by Christy Ballard.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...