Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Kerry Gubler                           La Verkin City

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Darren Cottam                         Toquerville City

 

Others:

Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer

Ken Hooten                             La Verkin City Council

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

           

       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order at 4:00pm.

 

  1. Approve Minutes: 

            Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to approve the May 20, 2015 minutes as written, second by Clark Fawcett.  Bob-yes, Kerry-yes, Clark-yes.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:                            

A.    Access Points Grant-Kathleen Nielson

 Hurricane Main Street-Kathleen reported the sewer, electrical, and water has been installed.  The building is up, without the roof.  There will be a sidewalk down each side, which will make the kiosk feel much bigger.

 

Darren Cottam arrived at 4:04

 

She still needs an up to date list of work that has been done.

The signage is moving forward.  They are deliberating on some of the wording on the geology sign but that should be worked out by the end of the week.

Kathleen will call Darren when they are ready for Toquerville to help. 

The building is up but there is still a lot of groundwork to do at the Hurricane Trail Head, so they are unsure of the completion date.

 

 

 

B.     Irrigation water update-Bob Sandberg

Bob reported he met with Alpha Engineering and Ash Creek Sewer District because in order to get the water, the line will need to go through Ash Creek’s property.  There is an access easement but it is not clear if there is a pipeline easement.  Ash Creek is checking into that. 

Alpha is moving forward with the cost estimate to get water to the parking area and the two fields, including the field across the Creek. 

Bob said there was a discussion whether to go under the Creek or over and he thought they would be going over. 

 

Mayor Gubler pointed out it would probably be easier to get permission to go over. 

 

Bob said once Alpha gets the information to him he will take it to the County Commission. 

The Commissioners are still discussing lease verses purchase but before they make that decision, they want to see the cost estimate. 

If the water is leased from La Verkin, Ron Thompson said WCWCD would supply the water. 

 

Mayor Gubler stated La Verkin would want a contract for that. 

 

Bob reported Alpha Engineering mentioned in the meeting the difference in the water pressure is fairly significant between River Wood Subdivision and farther in town so it may require a pump station.  The water pressure coming from the River and the Diversion Dam is higher than coming from La Verkin Creek. 

There has also been discussion with Ash Creek in collaborating with the project so they can put their line in.  Darwin Hall, director of Ash Creek, mentioned he thinks Ash Creek is still moving in the direction of placing a treatment facility there eventually, but he doesn’t know how the Board or the new director feel about it. 

        

C.    Discuss assistance from the Nation Park Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Program-Bob Sandberg

Bob said Commissioner Iverson forwarded him an email from Jeff Bradybaugh, Zion superintendent, informing him of this community technical assistance program from the National Park Service. 

The program does not provide money.  They will help define project vision and goals, inventory and map community resources, engage collaborative partners and stakeholders, design community outreach and participation strategies, develop concept plans for trails, parks and natural areas, set priorities and build consensus, identify funding sources, and develop a sustainable organizational framework to support the project.

Bob wondered if there was anything the Board or Committee thought this program could help with.  He has reviewed the Master Plan and feels it has done all of those things.  The Plan was completed in 2007, and while not everything has been done exactly as outlined, the concept has been the same.  There are also many things that haven’t been completed but we are working toward them.

 

Kathleen mentioned the Plan talks about an educational building but she thought Trail said new construction is not allowed.  She wondered if that is what Cory and Casey read and decided a 501c3 could do that. 

 

Bob said the beginning of the Plan states, “all recommendations are intended to be consistent with the recorded conservation easements that protect the conservation values on the property, uses that are incompatible with conservation goal of the project such as excessive or careless use of harmful pesticides or herbicides are not allowed.  A primary premise of the Plan is that through careful planning and design, recreational and agricultural uses can be compatible with long term habitat protection.”

The original plan has multiple parking, restrooms, and picnic areas.  He didn’t think they would have gone to all of the trouble of creating this plan only to have it contradict the easement. 

 

Clark stated DWR was involved in the meetings when the master plan was created and they approved it before it was adopted. 

 

Darren reported Toquerville has just hired someone to plan their parks and he would like to have him come to this meeting to discuss the benefits of a master plan. 

If this program would help with creating a master plan, the Park does need one.  It gives a road map of what needs to be done. 

 

Ken would like to know what concessions would be made to the group if they get involved. 

 

Kathleen has worked with this group before.  They gather a team of volunteers who meet as a group and include all of the parties that are involved in the decision-making along with people who live in the area, so they have representatives from many different entities.  They discuss the area, tour the area, write down all the comments, and come back with their concept of what they think it should be, based on information given to them.  They will list resources available to accomplish the things they are suggesting.  While they are not professional planners, they do have a lot of experience working in outdoor projects.

 

Clark said it might be worth it, just to find additional resources.

 

Kathleen said it could give other ideas for Confluence but is not so detailed that it would talk about architectural things or the continuity.

The group did publish a brochure for the project Kathleen worked on with them. 

They would also publish it in the newspaper.    

The only question she has with this is the sensitivity of the people who put money into the original plan.  They may feel the Master Plan is already here and that this was based on it.  However, the Master Plan does list more than we are able to do, like the roads.  DWR has said no roads. 

There is also no mandate stating the Board would be required to do anything the group suggests.   

 

Clark wondered how much time people from this Committee would need to spend with the group.

 

Kathleen thought they would only want direction and to know what the limitations are. 

 

Ken suggested bringing the stakeholders into this meeting to let them know this program is available and get their feelings on it.  He feels this would just be augmenting the Master Plan.

 

Clark mentioned he was involved with the Committee when the plan was being drafted and he doesn’t feel there is anything that can’t be changed in it. 

 

Kathleen said she feels the Board needs to decide what “natural park” means.  If they are even going to allow the other uses in, whether from a 501c3, ideas from the Program being discussed or leave it as a natural park.

The Conservation Program did not charge the other project Kathleen was involved in.

 

Darren commented that a Master Plan is so important to define exactly where things should go.  It would be a good idea to get some of the original people involved with the Park to participate in creating it.  We want to create a Master Plan so there is some organization that we could move forward with in phases.  Confluence Park has a lot of potential. 

Darren wondered if potable water would ever be available. 

 

Mayor Gubler feels the most pressing issue is getting water to the Park.  Once the Park has water, the area can really be developed.  He would also like the ability to drive to the old dairy.

 

Bob explained the Master Plan lists the old feed barn and milk barn as having a parking area. 

Clark thought the Master Plan included reconstructing the old dairy barn and allowing parking to that point. 

 

Bob replied that it does state that but he didn’t think it would be free access because of vandalism.

He read what the Master Plan states about the Wilkinson’s Dairy.  It listed parking for educational activities, family reunions, group activities, etc.

 

Mayor Gubler feels water is still the most critical thing followed by allowing access to the dairy. 

 

Bob read the short-term recommendation list.  This is what the Committee has been trying to accomplish so some of them have already been completed. 

 

Kathleen pointed out in order to accomplish the items in the Master Plan there will need to be some money invested from the cities involved.  Grants are an option, but the funding is limited there. 

 

Bob said the County Commission is willing to look at funding for water to the Park.  There is also the RAP Fund money but he isn’t sure how the competition will be for it.

As far as the road goes, groups can get permission now to drive further into the Park. 

 

Ken feels that driving access needs to be permit only.  The La Verkin Police Chief has mentioned he prefers it that way as well.

 

Darren mentioned a detailed plan would be a good thing so when the water does come available we know where to put the lines. 

 

Ken commented the amount of people visiting the Park has increased greatly.

 

The Board members agreed to have Bob get more information on the group or other similar groups as long as there will not be a charge for their services.   

                                  

 IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

 

    V.            Board members concerns:

   No comments were made.

 VI.            Adjourn:

Motion was made by Clark Fawcett to adjourn, second by Bob Sandberg.  Bob-yes, Kerry-yes, Clark-yes. Darren-yes.   Motion carried at 4:50pm.

 

Minutes taken by Christy Ballard

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...