Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Darren Cottam                         Toquerville City

Ken Hooten                             La Verkin City Council

 

 

            Others:

Steve Meismer                         Virgin River Program

Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer                            

Trail Kreitzer                           UDWR

Dennis Kay                              VRLPA

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

 

Mayor Kerry Gubler has been excused.

 

       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Bob Sandberg called the meeting to order at 4:05pm.

 

  1. Approve Minutes: 

            Motion was made by Ken Hooten to approve the June 18, 2014 minutes as written, second by Clark Fawcett.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:                      

A.    Access Points Grant update-Kathleen Nielson

Kathleen reported the Environmental has been completed.  She should be getting a notice from them shortly.

The Hurricane Trail Head will be the first project started.  She will meet with Hurricane to finalize things.  Road base is still an issue, for all of the projects. 

 

Bob has talked to several different companies and no one is interested in trading the dirt for road base. 

The County doesn’t have any available road base, but they will be taking some of the fill dirt to mix with gravel for one of their projects.  They will see if they can find a sale or trade for the fill dirt.

 

Clark asked about quantities and mentioned that Hurricane has some road base that they will use for the Hurricane side.  He will see if there will be any available for the

La Verkin side.   

 

Bob didn’t have the exact amount of road base that is needed to complete all of the projects.

 

Bob and Kathleen will be meeting with Hurricane on September 15th.

 

Bob and Kathleen thanked Trail for all of his efforts on this grant.

     

B.     Tree Utah Grant-Kathleen Nielson

Bob reported they are applying for a Tree Utah Grant to try and get some trees.  We need about 60 trees to replace the trees that have died. 

Most of the trees are doing very well but there have been some damaged by deer and gophers. 

The gophers are also eating through the drip irrigation lines as well. 

If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with that issue get with Bob.

 

Trail asked if anything was needed for this grant. 

 

Bob will check with Cameron but he thought it had been all taken care of.

 

Kathleen asked about the match for this grant.

 

Trail mentioned Dedicated Hunters could help with the planting.  Just let him know approximately how many people would be needed and for how long and he will put the proposal together.

C.    Acquiring irrigation water-Bob Sandberg

Bob has talked with Mayor Bramall who told him the person leasing the property above Confluence Park off of Ash Creek is willing to help get water to the piece of property that is in between Ash Creek and La Verkin Creek.  However, money is still an issue.

            He has talked to the HCP, the Technical Committee, and the Advisory Committee who told him to come up with some ideas on how to use the water that would directly benefit other endangered or threatened sensitive species.  The group still needs to get together to come up with some ideas. 

He doesn’t think the HCP will fund the entire amount needed to purchase the water.

Chris Blake said he would float a proposal with the VRLT Board for a potential lease.

 

Dennis reported that Chris did make that proposal and he thought it received a positive vote with the idea that any money paid into the lease would go directly into purchasing the water. 

 

Bob will get with Chris and see if it needs to be placed on the agenda for the next HCAC meeting.

D.    Picnic tables-Bob Sandberg

Bob would like to get a couple of picnic tables down at the Park, preferable metal.

 

Christy mentioned there is a young man doing metal picnic tables as an Eagle Project for the park at the entrance of the Riverwood subdivision. 

Clark said getting a pattern and a list of how to get the materials together would be helpful.  That way when someone was interested in doing this as a project we would have it.

Darren suggested using a metal frame and Trex. 

Getting benches to place along the trails would be a good idea as well.

 

Bob met with a potential Eagle Scout today who is willing to do the kiosk at the temporary care facility for the tortoises.  It would talk about Confluence Park and the tortoises. 

Kathleen passed around a picture of his design.  It is a triangle with information on two sides and a small bench on the third. 

Everyone was okay with this design so Bob will move forward on this potential project.

E.     Gopher trappers-Bob Sandberg

This item was mentioned in a previous business item. 

The HCP has put pellets below the surface which has helped a little bit but it is a large area to cover with a lot of gophers to repopulate the area.

He has talked to a couple of potential Eagle Scouters about putting up nest boxes for barn owls and kestrel’s.

F.     Fill dirt-Bob Sandberg

This item was discussed with business item A. 

Bob reminded everyone that they would like to trade or sell the fill dirt for road base for the trails. 

Ron Whitehead said Toquerville wanted fill dirt and that the County would need to haul it over to them.

 

Darren will talk with Lance.

 

Bob stated the fill dirt will need to be moved eventually, preferably with some means to get the road base we need.

G.    Restroom cleaning schedule-Bob Sandberg

The schedule for the rest of the year has been sent out.

Bob wondered if anyone has seen any issues or problems.  

Darren asked if the communities involved with Confluence Park have been asked to participate financially. 

 

Bob replied the request has not been made yet.  Some of the communities are reluctant to do much with Confluence Park.

In the past Mayor Wilson mentioned La Verkin had passed a per capita tax that could be implemented and the revenue from it could be used in parks.  Whether or not any of the other communities have done that or if any of them are willing to implement it, he was not sure. 

The County is discussing a RAP Tax that could help fund the Park.

 

Clark suggested putting a Facebook page up for Confluence Park.  That will help with getting information out to the public and help make them aware of the Park.  Upcoming events could be put on the page to see if people would be interested in donating money or time to them.

 

Darren suggested putting a booth in the Fair or Peach Days with information.

 

Bob said the HCP had a booth at the Fair with a pamphlet about Confluence Park and people were taking them.  There is also a link to Confluence Park on the HCP website.     

 

 IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

  1. Board members concerns:

 Steve said that Seth Willard from Fish & Wildlife Service, Denver was here and Steve     took him to Confluence Park to show him the NRCS project and Seth was very impressed with how nice everything was coming back and that the wall couldn’t be seen.

 

Darren asked if anything could be done about the horse flies.

 

Bob replied he didn’t think Mosquito Abatement could do anything about them but he will check. 

 VI.            Adjourn:

Motion was made by Clark Fawcett to adjourn, second by Ken Hooten.  Motion carried at 4:47pm.

 

 

Minutes taken by Christy Ballard.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...