Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, May 22, 2014 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Kerry Gubler                           La Verkin City

 

            Others:

Trail Kreitzer                           UDWR

Kathleen Nielson                     Grant Writer

Lucy Ormond                          Hurricane Trails Committee

Nolan Hahn                             ACE

Dennis Kay                              VRLPA

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

 

       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order at 4:00pm.

 

  1. Approve Minutes: 

            Motion was made by Clark Fawcett to approve the March 19, 2014 minutes as written, second by Bob Sandberg.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:

A.    Access Points Grant discussion-Kathleen Nielson

Kathleen reported the Environmental Study is being worked on.  The process was revamped and there are a lot more things that have to be done but with the help of Trail and his boss it should be done by the end of June.

            The County is not able to do some of the things they were hoping to for the grant so we need to cut back on expenses.  The signage is one area that cannot be cut.  Hurricane is fine with what has been decided on for their trailhead.  The map will be on navaloy material which is expensive but requires no maintenance.  Kathleen wondered what size of sign the committee wants for the SR9 trailhead, for both the easement sign and notification on the highway.  Her concern is if the notification sign is big it’s an invitation for people to stop but there is limited parking.  She feels it should be a small sign so people will be able to tell there is a trailhead there but realize from the street the parking situation.

She also feels the information signage for both trailheads in La Verkin should be smaller than the La Verkin Creek Trailhead signs.

 

The Committee agreed with the smaller sign for the highway sign.

 

There will also be a sign, on a post, directing visitors to the main trailheads in Hurricane and La Verkin where parking will be available.

 

The Hurricane Main Street Trailhead will have a large sign, about half the size of the

La Verkin Creek Trailhead sign.  The access signs for that trailhead will be larger like the ones for the La Verkin Creek Trailhead and will be off 600 North because there will be a new road going in there.

 

            Kathleen passed around an example of a kiosk for the Hurricane Trailhead.  The size will be smaller than the one pictured.  The signs will need to be attached to the kiosk so there can be shade for the signage as well as visitors. 

The posts will be square tubular steel.  The design will be good for being on top of the hill; it has been tested for wind up to 120 mph. 

The dimensions for the kiosk will be 16x16, maybe a little bit smaller. The cost for the one pictured is $7,800.  Ours will be less than that because it will be smaller. 

Hurricane is checking with local vendors to see if they could get it cheaper.

            Kathleen passed around a picture of the restroom.  The picture has stone on it and stone is more expensive.  The basic package price is $13,000 and goes up from there depending on what is added.

            Fencing is expensive, that may be one of the areas we cut back on.  The main concern is keeping ATV’s out of the park.  Kathleen thinks strategically placed large rocks would keep them out the same as a fence.

Trail was fine with that idea.

 

The property trade has not happened yet. There is a problem with the easement so the project will be moving forward without it for now.  

Kathleen explained where the parcels of property are that Mr. Blackmore would like to give and where parcels he would like in return are.

 

Bob said the attorneys need to work it out from here.  He does have the County Attorney looking at it. 

The property trade makes sense for a lot of reasons but it’s coming down to a legal issue.

 

Kathleen explained this grant is a 50/50 match grant.  The dollar amount is $48,000 the estimated cost of the projects are $109,000.  The County has no money but they will help with equipment sometimes.  

Hurricane has been very gracious with helping to come up with the match.

We do still need to find someone with road base or gravel for the trails.  Sunroc has crusher fines for $1.60 a ton.  She hasn’t checked with Interstate Rock to see how much they charge but she will.  At the $1.60 per ton it would cost about $2,000 per roadway/trail with the cost of the truck being another $2,000 which is much cheaper than anything else.  This material will be fine for the trails but is not good for driving on.

We still need gravel or road base for the parking area on the Hurricane side and the SR9 sight.

 

Mayor Gubler will talk to Donald from Interstate Rock about the possibility of them donating the material.

Kathleen will check on the price.

 

Kathleen asked Nolan Hahn from A.C.E. if he had worked with crusher fines before.  He replied he hadn’t but could ask the director over Utah if he had experience with it.

 

Santa Clara River Reserve has used it and in the areas that are flat or doesn’t have any drainage issues it works great.   

 

B.     Arundo access and disposition-Steve Meismer

Steve was not able to be here so Nolan Hahn from American Conservation Experience will report.  ACE is working with the Water Conservancy District in removing invasive species in the area, specifically Arundo.  There is a parcel of property at the entrance of Confluence Park behind the houses that are being built that is owned by La Verkin and has about 14 large very established populations.  For Nolan to take care of these populations it would take 3-4 years to completely remove them all, he was wondering if La Verkin could use a backhoe to remove them. 

 

Bob reported Arundo has been listed as a noxious weed.  There have been several agencies working to remove it from the County.  The populations downstream have been addressed but ACE would like to remove everything that could continue to repopulate the area.  They need to be cut and removed so they can’t re-sprout.

 

Mayor Gubler had Christy get Nolan’s card to pass along to Derek Imlay, the Director of Operations for La Verkin. 

 

Nolan had a question of ownership on another piece of property along the River that has some Arundo.  It is believed to be owned by Cache Valley Bank.      

 

C.    Disposition of old lumber corral and shade structure-Bob Sandberg

This structure is located south of the Dairy Barn.  It is a safety hazard.  It can’t be burned because of the railroad ties.  Is there anyone who would like to donate backhoe time to remove the railroad ties, place them in one pile with the lumber in another so the lumber could just be burned?

 

La Verkin is short staffed by two men right now, Clark with check with Hurricane to see if they could do it.

 

D.    Graffiti issue and building stabilization-Bob Sandberg

There is graffiti on the Dairy Barn and the Power House.  There have been some complaints recently of racial graffiti.  Bob has taken care of the racial stuff but there is still a lot of other stuff.  It seems to have slowed down due to more use of the Park.  If anyone knows of anyone willing to paint over the graffiti as a project let him know. 

 

Lucy has manpower resources but would need paint and painting supplies.

 

Bob pointed out that the buildings are not necessarily safe and some of the graffiti may be offensive to certain groups of people.

 

The more the park gets used and the less the buildings continue to look deteriorated the closer we are to fixing the graffiti problem.

 

Bob will look into the cost of paint and supplies.

 

E.     Fill dirt disposition and road base for trails-Bob Sandberg

There is a lot of fill dirt piled down in the Park that cannot be used on the trails.  Bob would like to sell it and use the money for the new projects or trade it for material that can be used at the Park.  If anyone is interested or knows of anyone who may be interested, send them to Bob.

 

F.     Irrigation water and letter from Fire Chief-Bob Sandberg

Bob received a letter from Chief Tom Kuhlmann of the Hurricane Valley Fire District.  A copy of the letter was handed out.  Chief Kuhlmann is concerned with fires in and around Confluence Park.  There has been a lot of work done to help minimize the threat of fire but there is still a threat from the fields.  Chief Kuhlmann would like us to get irrigation water to the fields so they will be a fire deterrent.  Bob is working with the Virgin River Program and the County Habitat Advisory Committee trying to come up with a plan to get money for a grant, if we can find one. 

If anyone has any ideas on funding irrigation water would really help the Park in a lot of ways.     

 

G.    Signs-Bob Sandberg

Bob passed around the signs he had made for the camping rules and dogs.  They will be placed at the entrance of the La Verkin Creek Trail Head.

Bob will get the signs put up.

 

Lucy mentioned the Hurricane Main Street Trailhead needs a sign about dogs.

 

H.    July 4th Run/Walk-Bob Sandberg

No one has approached Bob about a July 4th run/walk yet and he wondered if the two Cities were planning on having one again this year. 

If anyone does come to Bob is the Board okay with allowing them to have a run/walk?

 

Everyone was in agreement that the exposure is a great thing for Confluence Park.

 

 La Verkin is not planning on having a run/walk and Clark didn’t think Hurricane was either.

 

I.       Picnic Tables-Bob Sandberg

Bob would like to get a picnic table or two for the parking lot area at the La Verkin Creek Trailhead.  So if anyone knows of anyone, possibly a Scout, who is looking for a project let them know.  

 

Kathleen commented that it may be a good idea to have a prototype of what we want, that way the picnic tables would all be similar and the people would have something to work off of.

 

Bob said there is a plan but it is not a metal table plan. 

 

Trail asked if the Park really wanted the trash issue that goes with picnic tables. 

 

Kathleen replied it would need to be a take in/take out situation.  No trash receptacles.

 

The Board would prefer metal tables but realizes it will be a much more difficult project than a wood table.

 

Mayor Gubler feels picnic tables would be a good idea; they would help enhance the Park.   

   

 IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

 

  1. Board members concerns:

No comments were made.

 

 VI.            Adjourn:

 

The meeting was adjourned by Kerry Gubler at 4:58pm.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...