Confluence Park Executive Board and

Technical Advisory Committee Minutes

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:00 p.m.

435 N. Main, LaVerkin, Utah

Present:

Board Members:

Bob Sandberg                          Washington County – HCP

Clark Fawcett                           Hurricane City

Kerry Gubler                           La Verkin City

Brad Langston                         Toquerville City

            Others:

Lucy Ormond                          Hurricane Trails Committee

Ashley Gilreath                                    SUNCLF/Wilderness Fest

Dennis Kay                              Virgin River Land Preservation Association

Christy Ballard                         La Verkin City

       I.            Meeting Called to Order:  Kerry Gubler called the meeting to order at 4:09pm.

  1. Approve Minutes: 

            Motion was made by Clark Fawcett to approve the January 15, 2014 minutes as written, second by Bob Sandberg.  Motion carried unanimously.

 

  1. Business:

A.    Access Points Grant discussion-Bob Sandberg

·         Road base

Kathleen was not present. 

Bob has been working with DWR to get the environmental check list completed.  This has to be done before the project can start.  DWR has told Bob they can and will get it done. 

Bob has met with Hurricane to discuss the Hurricane Trail Head.

 

Clark explained that Hurricane would like to connect the road to go all the way through if the land trade works out and that would cause a few small changes.  They are proceeding as normal with the parking lot and want to start on the restrooms.  Hurricane will try to do more work on the restrooms make up some of the difference since the grant was less than anticipated. 

They also figured out how much road base would be needed for the project.  Hurricane is checking to see if they can furnish some.  Clark wasn’t sure if they would have enough to do the entire project.

 

Bob would also like to do some work on the emergency access roads in case there was ever a situation where emergency personnel needed to respond. 

There will be left over fill from the Waterline Project but he doesn’t know if it will be something that would work for the trails.

 

Brad reported Toquerville is re-armoring La Verkin Creek and will have extra dirt that may be useable for the Park.  It is sandy, not road base material. 

He also wondered why Ash Creek Sewer District maintenance road can’t be used.

 

Bob replied it can be used but you can’t reach the entire park from it so having another access in case of emergencies, like the SR9 entrance, would be a good idea.   

            Bob is still trying to work on the land exchange, there has been quite a bit of bureaucracy but he is trying to work through that.  The Conservation Easement needs to be amended and everyone comfortable in order for the trade to go through.    

B.     Hurricane Waterline Protection Project-Bob Sandberg

The project is moving forward.  They have been trying to deepen the waterline so they can start with the armoring and the rock wall.  The project should be completed next week.

 

Lucy commented that the tortoise road is much nicer.  She would still like to work with Trail in getting some “s” curves to the west of the road leading up to the Main Street trailhead to help with the slope.

C.    Color Country Natural Resources Camp proposal- Bob Sandberg

The Color Country Natural Resources Camp is held by Sunrise Intermediate School.  They have an education program with approximately 60 students and would like to use the Park on April 8th from 8:30am-1:00pm.  They will have different stations set up to learn about geology, archeology, the Virgin River fish, and desert wildlife.

The school will take care of getting the port-a-potties.

Bob thinks this is a great idea; it is not a commercial use so there shouldn’t be any problems with the easement.

 

Ashley Gilreath said Sunrise Intermediate has been doing this for a couple of years at Red Cliffs but it is closed this year for construction so they would like to have it at Confluence Park.

 

The Board felt this would be great exposure for the Park and what it was intended to be used for. 

D.    Wilderness Fest workshop proposal-Ashley Gilreath

Ashley works with the St. George BLM office helping with their outreach and one of the things they have been trying to do is put together a Wilderness Fest.  This would educate people on recreational opportunities and safety, anything to do with going out into the wilderness. 

It would be divided into three different sections; one would be for local commercial business, they would not be selling anything just hosting activities.  Second would be for the interagency partners and non-profits in the area.  Music is scheduled and a workshop series that would focus on outdoor photography, wildlife rehabilitation, and survival skills.  It will be free to the public and will be on April 25th from 3pm-7pm.  They are expecting 300 people.

 

Bob wanted to make sure everyone is comfortable with this.

 

Mayor Gubler asked how an event like this is promoted. 

Ashley explained a local radio station will be promoting the event, doing interviews throughout the week with musicians and different groups involved in the Fest.  BLM has prepped a press release for it and the different organizations involved in the event will be advertising.

Hurricane can put it on the sign at the Recreation Center.

 

The event will be at the La Verkin Creek trailhead so there will be restrooms but Ashley will be getting portable restrooms for the event as well.  

 

Bob said the Master Plan for the Park is to have another set of restrooms further into the Park by the dairy barn or the grainery we just need the finances to do that.

That would give the Park three restrooms counting the one at the Hurricane trailhead.

 

The Board commented this too will be great exposure for the Park.

E.     Restroom cleaning-Bob Sandberg

Bob handed out the restroom cleaning schedule again.  There have been weeks that have been missed so if everyone could check with their people to make sure it is getting done that would be great.

 

It was decided to print the schedule out 3-6 months at a time.  Christy will send those out along with a reminder periodically, if there are any issues she will let the cities know.

F.      Hurricane Trails Committee work day report-Lucy Ormond

January 25th was the Trail Committee work day.  There were 18 volunteers.  They did maintenance along the entire length of the Hurricane heart shaped trail.  They were not able to get the road base put down by the dump, partly because of the weather and partly because of lack of material. 

The Committee would like to have help cleaning up that area.  People are still dumping things over the ledge and they would like it to be nice when the new trailhead opens.

Someone has or is trying to purchase the property on top.  When they build that should put an end to the dumping.   The potential property owners will have to maintain the 200 W access for the tortoise road and they will give the Park access to the trailhead. 

The next trail cleanup work day will be focusing on that area. 

They have enough volunteers and tools and are willing to help with the trails on the

La Verkin side as well.

If La Verkin would like to get a trail committee put together Lucy would help them get started.      

 IV.            Public Concerns for Board Consideration:

No comments were made.

  1. Board members concerns:

Bob had a person contact him that would like to clean up the old dairy barn and board it up to try and discourage vandalism.   He doesn’t have the details yet but will get more information.

 

There was a discussion on whether or not the building was worth keeping.  In the Master Plan it was listed as being an information station or rest station.  The structure is still sound but it does need work. 

It has been vandalized and preventing future acts of vandalism would be hard.

Bob feels that over the last year or two acts like that have gone down due to increase use of the Park.

 

Mayor Gubler suggested tearing down the walls and just leaving an open shed for a rest area then there won’t be anything to spray paint.

 

Lucy thinks it is a great historical and educational place.  She would hate to see the concrete corral/feed barn taken down.   

She also suggested putting a closing time on the Park.

 

Bob doesn’t think Confluence is experiencing the type of vandalism that would require the Park to close.  

 

It was brought up that the type of people who do those types of things don’t care if the Park is closed or not, closing would only keep out the people who would help prevent that from happening.

 

Bob said that if the police keep patrolling the area that may help.  Bob does have the Sheriff’s department patrol where the tortoises are.  There was someone who broke into the habitat two weeks ago using a ladder to climb over the fence, they didn’t do anything.  

 

 VI.            Adjourn:

 

 

Motion was made by Bob Sandberg to adjourn, second by Clark Fawcett.  Motion carried unanimously at 4:55pm.

Keep Up with La Verkin Happenings

Public Meetings

Quick Links

Agenda and Minutes


City Council

Jan. 8, 2018 Agenda

City Council Vacancy

Jan. 8, 2018


Planning Commission

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Planning Commission Agenda

Oct. 25, 2017


Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017 Agenda

Water Board

Oct. 25, 2017

View all...